You're in mile 18 and all you have to do is get to the next water station. Up ahead you see them. The group of happy cheering volunteers handing out half-filled paper cups of water. Only a few more steps and aawwhh! You're there! Take a break! Walk a few minutes! And enjoy the sights and sounds. You deserve it!

Sunday, May 9, 2010

This too shall pass..thanks!

My Jersey is all better now.  That was a big scare and an even bigger vet bill!  Guess I'll get my new laptop next month.  She came home from the vet on Friday night..tired but happy to not be so dehydrated.  She slept good and was back on Saturday morning.  After some additional bloodwork, she was sent home.  I watched her for a few to see if anything changed and then had to get out for a run. 

I got in a nice five miles before I was met by a not so unusual surprise - a snake!  A Pituophis catenifer to be exact!  Okay it was just a Bullsnake (see photo for an example).  He was about 4-5 feet long and stretched out across the Santa Fe Trail sunning himself. He didn't seem to have a problem with me.  He just moved up into the grass and then off he went towards the parking lot to crawl under some pavers.  I thought he was a beautiful looking snake.  Never seen one with such a nice golden color before.  Added bonus to a great 8 mile run. 

[Update:  Found out Bullsnakes eat Rattlesnakes - don't mind them much anymore.  They can visit the trail anytime - as long as they keep the poisonous ones away!]

2 comments:

  1. so glag jersey is doing ok. I know how awful it is to need to help a pet because they are so loving and you can't really tell when they hurt.

    EIK snakes freak me out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snakes just make me run faster (temporarily).

    ReplyDelete