You're in mile 18 and all you have to do is get to the next water station. Up ahead you see them. The group of happy cheering volunteers handing out half-filled paper cups of water. Only a few more steps and aawwhh! You're there! Take a break! Walk a few minutes! And enjoy the sights and sounds. You deserve it!

Friday, June 4, 2010

Vacation Update

Well here's the skinny - I went back in time to a land where there was no cell phone service and limited access to the Internet. Unfortunately, it was only Kentucky!

It was a nice few days in the humidity with all of the bugs and snakes you could ever want. I didn't get any runs in while I was there (took clothes & shoes though so the thought was there), but I did get a couple walks with their pitbull, Zoey. Zoey and I took a while to warm up, but were playing hide&seek by the last day.

I had a nice rental car - Pontiac G6. Funny thing about it costing more than my plane ticket...humm?!  My nephew had fun test driving it (he was our designated driver). I did let the guy at the Avis counter know we had "fun" with the car since he tried to give me a Ford Fusion (said it was an 'upgrade').  One the winding KY roads, we had a blast.  Final vote on the car:  I wouldn't pass one up if I won it.

I learned a few things while I was home. One was how to tie a tie. My brother and nephew had their ties dry-cleaned and then didn't know how to tie them. After a few (30+) minutes and some how-to videos online, I was able to get them done. Unfortunately, they looked like they were tied for someone shorter. I'm 5'6" and my bro and nephew are pushing towards 6'. It worked for graduation though.  Not a bad looking family, huh?  Notice I'm trying to hide behind my nephew's skinny girlfriend - "Agent K" (on left side).

Second, I learned how to run a riding lawn-mower. Laugh - ha, ha! But I've never had the opportunity to use one. My yard takes about 30 minutes to mow and isn't big enough for a riding one. I went too slow for my nephew so he was laughing.  I was afraid I'd tip it over on the hills.  I had fun, but I don't think I'll rush out to do it again.


Well back in Colorado - the Miller Moths have arrived! Lovely bugs who get into everything in your house and vehicle. They leave little droppings on walls, furniture, etc. Some people buy those electric fly swatters to shock them to death. I've allowed a pair of swallows to set up camp on my front porch. They eat them! And they're pretty to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment