You're in mile 18 and all you have to do is get to the next water station. Up ahead you see them. The group of happy cheering volunteers handing out half-filled paper cups of water. Only a few more steps and aawwhh! You're there! Take a break! Walk a few minutes! And enjoy the sights and sounds. You deserve it!

Monday, July 19, 2010

Life in the Shopping Cart Lane

A while back I started reading Iowa Girl Eats' blog and found a lot of recipes I thought would be nice to try.  However, the more I read, the more I wondered how does she do her grocery shopping?  Low and behold, she offers tips on how to meal plan and grocery shop.  So I studied her tips, did some research on which recipes I wanted to make this week, made up my list and set off to the grocery store. 

Well let's just say I'm worse than a bachelor because I had to buy almost everything for each recipe.  Therefore, I totally blew her on a budget of $50 a week.  I spent $160!  And I really tried to save money with my Safeway card.  Maybe shopping at Aldi in Iowa is cheaper.  I'm going to try out King Sooper next weekend which is part of the Kroger chain.  But don't my fridge and cabinets look FABULOUS right now?!  **Nod to the Almond Butter gods - you are my new found friend!**

The recipes I picked to try out are:
  • Spinach Salad
  • Tortilla Egg Scramble
  • Fresh Vegetable Pasta Toss
  • Tuna Salad
  • Green Monster – only if I find the ingredients  **found all of them @ Safeway!**
  • Lemon Tuna Noodle Casserole
  • Cottage Cheese & Fruit Parfaits
  • Chicken Brats W/Potato Salad & Sweet Corn
  • Turkey Burgers W/Baked Beans & Potato Salad
  • Baked Tilapia W/Asparagus & Rice
  • Baked Banana Bread Oatmeal
I'll let you know how things go as I try things this week.  I'm curious about the Green Monster. 

On another note:  I now know what everyone is talking about with regards to these things called Sweaty Bands.  I ordered one on Saturday morning - after I didn't win one in a giveaway - because I wanted to see for myself if it worked.  I have very fine hair and most headbands do that slow creep to the back of the head and BOING off the back.  I got it in the mail today - yes today!  And so far I'm not having any problems with it, but I just got done with a short run and my hair is sweaty.  I'll have to see how it is when my hair is clean and dry.  I got the white reflective for nighttime running.  It looks very pretty.  I may have to order one of the patterned ones if this one passes all of the tests.  Thanks to everyone who spread the word on these!

[Update:  The band works!  Order up a bunch!  I'm thinking about one of the polka dot ones with some green - my favorite - color.]

3 comments:

  1. Ooo.. your fridge does look packed. My fridge never looks like that except possibly the day before Brian's birthday, and then it's gone the next day. (The man wants to EAT himself into a coma on his birthday). ;)

    Sweaty Bands? I guess that would have been helpful back when I had hair. ;) Now it's so short, I just wear a rolled up bandana like a headband and it doesn't go anywhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be in the same boat as you! We don't have a lot of ingredients for half the stuff I think I want to try one day and the shopping trip scares me! haha Can't wait to see how your recipes turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh these sound good. I love green monsters and the tortilla egg scramble sounds good too! All sound pretty easy and convenient to make as well.

    ReplyDelete