You're in mile 18 and all you have to do is get to the next water station. Up ahead you see them. The group of happy cheering volunteers handing out half-filled paper cups of water. Only a few more steps and aawwhh! You're there! Take a break! Walk a few minutes! And enjoy the sights and sounds. You deserve it!

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Denver's SkirtChaser 5K Race - Volunteering Recap

This has to be the most fun race I have ever ran (last year) so this year I decided to volunteer helping out Beth @ ShutUp&Run! She's such a hoot on her blog and is more of a pack of dynamite in person. She was running around all afternoon like a chicken with her head cut off. I was lucky to catch her standing still for a moment before the race to catch a photo op.   If she wasn't such a "badass", she'd be one of those "skinny blankity-blanks" that I'd be afraid to hug in fear I'd break her.  I can see how she was able to run 20+ with Dean.  She's fast and fit!  I volunteered in two shifts - one as a course pointer and the second helping out with the beer tent.  I had the great pleasure of working with Beth's husband under the beer tent.  Hopefully she kicked his butt for the treasure hunt he put us through looking  for his wedding ring - in the bottom of the ICE BIN!

The weather looked like it wasn't going to play along.  The wind was making every effort to have the tents go airborne.  Some of the voluteers were helping racers while holding down the tents.  What a mess!  But lady luck offered up a nice breeze instead up rainy muck.  It was sunny and hot for the race start.  I was trying to get rid of the nice capri tan I'd gotten earlier in the day during my group training run - 17 miles!  Lots of coffee and energy drinks got me through the day!

As for volunteering, I was set up to be a pointer at the best spot on the course - the Start/Finish!  So I was alloted a little time to flirt with the Police officers setting up the course - nod to JT who led the race on his "dirty" Harley!  I would have enjoyed hanging around chit-chatting with the guys.  Great bunch with some enjoyable stories about Denver drivers.  Thanks for the laughs and your time.


Now off to the race - for those who don't know the specifics of the race:  the women start the race 3 minutes prior to the men.  The first video shows the women's start.  The second shows how things start off with the men.  Take note how much road area the women cover going up that first hill and remember the men have to get around them.  What a cluster-fart!







And a last bit of humor for those who know Beth.  After a few beers and finally getting a chance to relax....Dirty Dancing!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a blast! Good for you for helping out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun time!!!
    I love the dancing and those skirts!!

    http://anotherrunningmom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting the video! I did actually find myself (green skirt, yellow top) right at the 1:19-1:21 min mark... I'm right in the middle of the pack and only saw myself because of my obnoxious clothes. I love Beth's blog, she is hilarious :D

    Thanks for posting the link, I enjoyed watching it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have so wanted to do a skirt chaser they just seem like a great time!!

    too hilarious about his ring!

    ReplyDelete