You're in mile 18 and all you have to do is get to the next water station. Up ahead you see them. The group of happy cheering volunteers handing out half-filled paper cups of water. Only a few more steps and aawwhh! You're there! Take a break! Walk a few minutes! And enjoy the sights and sounds. You deserve it!

Monday, September 13, 2010

Embrace Your Inner Turtle!

A bloggy friend of mine - MJ - posted a topic I've been mulling over for almost 3 weeks now.  It's about being S-L-O-W!  I started running back in 2007 and I've gotten a little faster over the years - up from a 15 m/m to 11 or 12 m/m.  But I'm still not satisfied.  I want to be that girl who makes running look effortless, not the penguin with a stride of 6-10 inches.  I just don't know if I'm ever going to get there.  That's what is discouraging. 

This is what I wrote on her blog in response to her post:

We must be on the same wavelength. I've been thinking something similar. I wonder what the fast runners think when the see me out there chugging along. Do they see me "and my shadow" (my toochas) puffing along and think "look at the fat chick trying to run"? Do they feel pitty for me and my "efforts"? Are they wishing I'd give it up and clear out of their way?

Sometimes I get so upset with myself wondering "what the heck am I doing out here" since I'm not getting any faster. Other times I just want to scream at them "how many miles are you running today? I'm doing 18!" And I'm going to be out here for 4 hours! That was yesterday.

Then I do a run like today and I see these ladies who've battled breast cancer & won. And I remember all of the people who can't run. Like those who lost their live in 9/11. I figure I may be slow, but I'm out here. Running for them and others going through similar situations. Mile 1 for my BFF's mom would lost her battle with breast cancer, mile 2 for my friend fighting MS, mile 3 for my grandma who's 90, mile 4...a mile for each of them.

I hope it helps you and others.

4 comments:

  1. One step at a time right?
    Just remind yourself how many races you have not only started but finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to email you back in response to your post, but I thought I'd write you back here. I'm so glad we're able to connect and relate on this subject. I'm completely with you on the 'are people looking at me and laughing' thing. I look like a complete doof out there, tall, not rail thin and muscular, puffing and turning red at mile 1. But I know that perfect-little-runner girl that just blew past me at an 8min/mile pace is only putting out 3 today, while I'm running 12! So I'll take my shuffle, and enjoy my time. I'm running for me, not them. Speaking of which, I like that you think about others who can't run. I recently did a post about a breast cancer survivor who told me that while she was in chemo she would close her eyes and picture all the runs she had done before. And since then, while re-training her body to run, when she gets tired she thinks of all the people she met in chemo who are still there, the ones who can't walk, breath, or even didn't make it. She runs for them, at a proud 15 min/mile. I want to run like her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty slow, but I'm okay with that. I run for me, and as long as I complete the goals I set for myself, then I'm very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So the last time I ran with you (yes, I know it was forever ago), I was behind you. For a while. And I said to myself, "Self, Lynne's got a great pace! See if you can follow along--let her be your pacer." So I did and you kept going...and going...and going. And I gave up. You might be slow but you're consistent! I admire that!! I really think that's way more important than this idea of "fast." Yeah it'd be great to be BOTH, but I'd pick consistent and methodical over fast any day. :)

    ReplyDelete